Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Dreams, Nightmares, and Keys

Do you every long dream of a project you're just dying to do? You know exactly how it will look finished.  Then you start working on it, and before you know it, this dream has become a total nightmare!

Enter said project:

You probably can't tell, but that's an old wooden screen door.  It's also $100 of rotten wood with 450978 coats of paint.  Bummer.  At least I was able to use the chicken wire for Elliot's birthday party. I'm hoping to turn those metal embelishments into a shelf for her room, but my dreams of turning this beauty into a headboard for our room might be a thing of the past.

As a little pick-me-up, I did this project that was SO easy and only took about five minutes!  A while back, I found this project by a girl and a glue gun and I fell in love.  I paired my slight obsession with keys with another of my favorites...maps, and came up with the idea of pairing a key from each place Jarrod and I have lived with an ariel view of it.  I kinda dig how it turned out, and hope to keep this tradition up wherever we move!


Things you'll need:
frame: I used a 4x6 with a 3x5 mat
key
map: I used Google Maps, but you can use any that you like.
scissors
itty bitty tape dispenser: I think I got this in the scrapbook section at Hobby Lobby a few years ago when I thought it would be a good idea to make all my wedding invites.


You totally don't have to do this, but on Google Maps, I typed in our address, so it would drop that little pin thingy exactly where it was.  I was going to draw a red circle around it, but I didn't like how it looked with the colors, and I didn't like the picture in black and white. Does this make me weird?  I hope not.
Anywho, on the bottom of the map, I typed in our address and the dates that we lived there.  I found an empty space on the map and with my itty bitty tape dispenser, I taped the key to it.


Then I framed it. I know I'm over the top sentimental, but I really like how we can keep a gazillion memories in one simple frame with one little key. :)


This project was so easy, I was able to make TWO of them while TWO certain girls were fast asleep for their afternoon nap!

What are some ways that you keep memories of previous places you've lived?  Does that kind of stuff even matter?!

NOTE: I feel like I should add that we no longer live at either one of these addresses.  Please don't stalk the people that currently do.  I think there are laws against that!

Oh, annnddd the numbers for E Baby's growth chart have FINALLY arrived! Hopefully I'll have an update for you soon!

Until later...

Love,
Jill (Jarrod and E Baby say "Hi" too!)


No comments:

Post a Comment